Mental Health First Aid via WebinarUpcoming Courses
Mental Health First Aid training will equip learners with knowledge and awareness on a range of mental health illnesses enabling the recognition of common signs and symptoms either during a mental health crisis or during the development of a mental health illness. This training course is not intended to replace the input of a medically trained professional, but to highlight awareness of mental health issues and conditions within the workplace. Following attendance, employees will be able to identify the signs of mental health issues and implement appropriate and timely interventions to support colleagues experiencing distress.
What is Mental Health First Aid?
Definition of Mental health first aid by Mental Fist Aid Ireland is the help offered to a person who is developing a mental health problem or who is experiencing a mental health crisis until appropriate professional treatment is received or until the crisis resolves. It follows the model that has been successful with conventional first aid.
Developed originally in Australia, Mental Health First Aid is now internationally recognised in over 27 countries and over 1 million people worldwide have been trained in Mental Health First Aid skills.
We also offer in-house training directly to large organisations through MHFA Workplace and can consult with you directly to help meet your individual organisations needs.
The Standard Mental Health First Aid Ireland course teaches people how to provide MHFA. Participants will learn the signs and symptoms of mental health problems and what sort of help has been shown by research to be effective. They will learn a framework for communication, how to offer and provide initial help, and how to guide a person towards appropriate treatments and other supportive help. #Menthal First Aid Ireland
You do not have to be a mental health professional to do the training, it is relevant to anyone with interest in supporting others with mental health conditions and gives attendees the necessary skills and knowledge to help people experiencing distress due to mental health conditions.
- Introduction to mental health
- Learn to recognise the signs and symptoms associated with anxiety and depression
- Learn how to develop empathic listening skills
- Tools to challenging stigma
- Improve productivity within the workplace
- Decrease absenteeism
- Improved performance from individuals and teams
- Know what mental health is and why people develop mental health conditions and the role of a Mental Health First Aider
- Know how to provide advice and practical support for a person presenting a mental health condition
- Know how to recognise and manage stress
- Know how to recognise and identify range mental conditions
- Understanding the impact of substance abuse on mental health
- Understand the first aid action plan for mental health and be able to put it in place
- Know how to implement a positive mental health culture in the workplace
Learners who complete the course will receive a Holland Safety Mental Health First Aid Certificate.
To be successful delegates must pass
- Short Multiple Choice Paper (30%)
- Skills Demonstrations (70%)